Your data center is where your critical applications live. Data center virtualization has gone through many recent changes. Regardless of the cloud, there are solutions that will always make sense to keep at your location. This could be for security, cost, or many other reasons.
Whether you have 2 servers or 200, there are compelling reasons to look at moving to a virtual environment. Power and cooling have always been big topics around saving money. The bigger reason are the redundancy and crash recovery options it introduces to your systems. Depending on how critical an application is, it becomes easy to set up varying levels of redundancy to fit your businesses’s needs. Waiting for a server to be rebuilt and restored can cost a lot if it stops or slows down production. Virtualization can remove this risk when leveraged properly. Network based storage can also add to security and redundancy. Other things like virtual desktop becomes a reality once you have this technology to leverage.
Unified Concepts works with many different server solutions. From rack based servers to blade servers, we can help you plan and implement a cost effective data center for much less money. Following the key points will give your company the competitive advantage you deserve.
- What applications do you use now? Who uses them and how?
- Evaluate all applications and solutions for premise vs. cloud.
- Look at current business needs to see if any other applications are planned for the near future.
- Design a system that fits today with some overhead to cover the future.
- Make sure power needs and backup power is sufficient for current business needs.
- Decide on and document a life cycle rotation plan that meets business needs and budget.
- This approach allows your company to take advantage of technology to build a stable environment for years to come.